8.12.09

Los edificios famosos

So I thought that I would take you on an architectural journey this week of some of the most famous edificios in all of España.

First up, the Guggenheim Museo en Bilbao. Bilbao está en el noreste de España. This museo was constructed in 1997 by arquitecto Frank O. Gehry. It houses some of the world's best known contemporary and modern art. It has 3 pisos, 90 exhibits and over 10 million visitors a year.
Maman by Louis Burgeois. Weird and famous sculture just outside of the museo.

Próximo, the windmills of Campo de Criptana en la provincia de la Mancha. Built in the 16th century and used to grind wheat into flour for bread. 10 out of the original 32 still remain. Believed to be the inspiration of Miguel Cervantes' story about Don Quixote.


Entonces, el Catedral de Santiago de Compostela en el noroeste de España. Finished construction in 1128. Believed to be the burial site of Saint James the Greater, one of Jesus's apostles. 100s of people make a pilgrimage here every year.


El Palacio Real en Madrid en el centro de España. Built from 1738-1755 and is now the official residence of the rey de España, Juan Carlos.

Mezquita de Córdoba está en el sur de España. It was built by the Moors, an Islamic people from Africa who ruled España for over 700 years until 1492 when Reina Isabela y Rey Ferdinand finally kicked them out. It was built arriba de an ancient Roman temple.


It's room of arches contains over 1,000 arches and is quite a site to see.

Giralda de Sevilla está en el sur de España, también. Built in the 14th century as a palacio. The tower is all that remains of the original structure.


Escorial está cerca del centro de España. It was the historical residence of then rey Phillip II. It was completed in 1584.

Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciencias está en Valencia. It is a center for the arts and science. It was completed in 1998 and has super modern architectural designs.

La Alhambra de Granada. Built in the 9th century as a fort and then later became a castle. Now it is one of the greatest tourists sites in all of Spain. It was built by the Moors had showcases some great Arabic design elements.

The most famous part of the Alhambra, the Court of Lions.


The Alcázar is another Moorish structure.
So which was your favorite and why?
***edited: please make sure when leaving comments that you answer the questions posted. all the questions. the questions were hidden in the middle of the last post and no one answered all of them. some of you didn't answer any. it does affect your grade.

10 comments:

  1. The Maman was my favorite, because it reminds me of a spider; I think spiders are cool ,but some spiders scare me like tarantulas also it looks weird and of course I like weird things.
    Chucho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciencias está en Valencia because it has a different design that I haven't seen before and it looks cool.
    -Agustin

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Alhambra de Granada was my favorite. I like it because it is pretty big. I like big buildings,I find them interesting. I always wonder how they made the buildings.
    -Yara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite was the Guggenheim Museo en Bilbao bacause it looks like a helicopter. I like this because it is very cool! It looks exactly like a helicopter!
    *Celestina*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Maman was pretty cool,it was my favorite. I hate spiders but it was just cool to see something like that.
    Noberto

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite was the Ciutat de les Arts les Ciencias esta en Valencia. This one was my favorite because it had a different design that i have never seen, i like the way the building is shaped and how it is designed. It's in a circular shape.
    -Eskarne:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite is the Ciutat de les Arts les Ciencias esta en Valencia. This one is my favorite because I have never seen anything like this before and I love all the colors that are in it, like the ocean.Also, i like the way the buliding is shaped because you dont see a bulid like this every day!!
    -Reyna :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite was the Alcazar. I say this because its really big and extravigant (if thats how you spell it.) Also it's on top of a hill or mountain and its like nothing iv'e ever seen before.
    -Ines! (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mezquita de Córdoba is my favorite becaus eit reminds me of a princess/king/queen castle. i used to be a big fan of princess things and i was daddy's little princess. this builing just reminds me of old times that i love.
    **Rosalva**

    ReplyDelete
  10. sup ppls?!lolz
    *MARICRUZ*

    ReplyDelete